What issues must be resolved in a divorce?
There are several main issues that must be resolved as part of a divorce.
- Assets. All assets need to be divided between the parties. Some assets might be one party’s separate property and the divorce will confirm that.
- Debts. All debts need to be divided between the parties. Some debts might be one party’s separate property and the divorce will confirm that.
- Child custody and visitation. If there are minor children, legal and physical custody will need to be decided. A schedule for timeshare between the parents will also need to be set.
- Child support. If there are minor children, support will need to be set, to be paid by one parent to the other to help care for the children.
- Spousal support. One party may request that the other provide support as he or she settles during and after the divorce.
Not every divorce will have all of these issues, but many divorces do.
If you have questions about any of these issues, please contact us at Romanovska Law.